Thai Town Marketplace
is an innovative approach to community revitalization which facilitates economic empowerment and improvement of public spaces. It is a self-sustaining business incubator in a public market setting that is a living, dynamic entity, which evolves over time to maintain economic viability.
The Thai Town Marketplace is a public market that provides entrepreneurs with small business opportunitiess, creates permanent jobs, and helps low-income individuals become economically self-sufficient. It provides an ideal low-cost entry point for starting a business. The public market will also improve access to affordable, nutritious and culturally-appropriate foods. The East Hollywood area is culturally and ethnically diverse, with large Latino, Armenian and Thai communities. We consider this tapestry of cultures an asset. The multi-cultural aspect of the market will create an authentic marketplace based on ethnic foods, artisanship and traditional products reflective of the diverse cultures of the area
- Bolsters cultural tourism in Thai town.
- Creates 39 – 40 entrepreneurship, management and service jobs.
- Supports 18 – 19 food retail and artisan small businesses.
- Promotes healthy eating, lifestyles, and safe public spaces for socializing.
- Hosts an outdoor farmer’s market.
incubator ~ a building, a section of a building, or group of buildings where for-profit enterprises rent space and the facility provides management consutling services for tenants.
Thai Town small businesses are primarily owned by:
- Strategically located above the metro station at the intersection of two major transportation corridors, the Marketplace is situated at the base of an MTA mixed-use development. A nexus of multimodal transportation, this location lends itself naturally to its consequential organization. Set back from the street, Thai town Marketplace represents something of an “urban oasis” to commuters and vistors. A structured open canopy, the iconic exterior “Sala” court typology organizes pedestrian scale elements in a carefully choreographed sequential experience.[…]
- Augmenting the Apsonsi Monument, its adjacency to the marketplace enriches the gateway’s symbolism with physical space and form, specific to public gathering. The Community Information Center provides historical, cultural and current events information, preparing the pedestrians embarking from this gateway on their journey into Thai Town. Conveniently located along the pedestrian sequence, retail kiosks help sequester the Sala’s seating courts, flanking them and creating vistas that guide pedestrians into the Market’s interior food venues.[…]
- Marketplace’s cultural tourism syngergy with Thai town is due in part to the growing Preserve America movement. Activating the streetscape with alfresco dining and space to host cultural events, Thai Town Marketplace creates a safe, enjoyable environment for families, and introduces Thai Town as a fun experience for tourists in Los Angeles. […]