Our Small Business Program
Since its establishment in 1994, the Thai Community Development Center (Thai CDC) has recognized the need to build community assets as part of an effective community economic development strategy. Thai CDC aims to continuously provide asset building programs including financial education and coaching services to low and moderate income Thais and other ethnic communities in the greater Los Angeles area.
Every year, Thai CDC hosts more than 12 workshops with over 200 participants. Our workshops include our Entrepreneurial Training Program, Access to Capital, and E-commerce workshops. Thai CDC also offers individual business counseling, a savings program, and financial literacy classes throughout the year. For more information, contact our Business Counselor, Supranee May, who can be reached at (323) 468-2555 or by email at email@example.com.
API Small Business Program
Thai CDC is a member of the Asian Pacific Islander Small Business Program (API SBP). Formed in 1999, API SBP is a consortium of five of the longest standing organizations in the Los Angeles Asian and Pacific Islander community that includes the Thai Community Development Center, Koreatown Youth and Community Center, Chinatown Service Center, Little Tokyo Service Center Community Development Corporation, and Search to Involve Pilipino Americans. Its purpose is to assist small and largely immigrant businesses in Chinatown, Koreatown, Little Tokyo, Thai Town, and Pilipino communities of Los Angeles by offering business development services, counseling and general technical assistance free of charge to small business owners and entrepreneurs who are interested in starting new businesses in Los Angeles. In addition, the program helps small businesses in the areas of accessing capital and loans, business structuring, marketing, permits and licensing, taxes, accounting, business plans, and more. As a collaborative of five community organizations, our partners share 135 years of service between them and are well known and respected for the quality of their work, the impact of their services, and their standing in the community. For more information, please visit http://apisbp.org
Thai CDC is a Money Smart Alliance Member of FDIC, #0549
- “Minority Business Champion Award,” US Small Business Administration (SBA) (2005)
- “National Program Innovation Award,” Association for Enterprise Opportunity (2004)
- “Minority Business Advocate Award,” US Small Business Administration (2003)
- “Technical Assistance Advocate Award,” LA Mayor’s Office MBOC & SBA (2002)
- “Best Practice,” California Small Business Development Center (2000)
Our Asian Pacific Islander Small Business Program Business Counselors have multingual and multicultural capabilities and work directly with the smallest and most in-need entrepreneurs, to provide:
- Small Business Workshops featuring speakers from public & private organizations.
- Entrepreneurial Training Program: a 6 week weekend course for Thai-speakers.
- Access to Capital workshops that provide information on financial packaging and loans.
- Individualized Business Counseling.
- Assistance with creating business plans.
- Small business development assistance and current information on business trends.
- Assistance regarding legal requirements, wage and hour laws, and tax regulations.